So, those that have been following along this week know we have seemed to go downhill rather than up. Round One of Chemo was finished 24Aug2014. While the chemo seemed to be a non-event, these other complications have kept occurring one right after the other.
On Tuesday, he developed a rash for no real good reason. Initially, we thought that this might be due to one of the blood transfusions; however when the rash came back even stronger the following day after one of his medications, it strongly pointed to a possible allergic reaction to the drug. My understanding is that this is a preventative medication that is given during the chemo process to avoid a certain type of pneumonia developing while the immune system is weakened. It is a type of sulfa drug. I personally have had strong reactions to sulfa-drugs in the past, and while I am assured that the allergy to sulfa drugs is not genetically linked, sulfa drugs do often have strong allergic responses in people. So, while the rash is still dissipating, this is the strongest lead we have to go on. The medication has been switched to a different one, so we will see as time progresses forward.
Of biggest concern this week was when they were trying to wean him off of his requirement for [concentrated] oxygen, and they couldn’t. An X-ray showed us that he had developed a pleural effusion in his left lung. Initially, the fluid on ultrasound appeared to not be bloody (They would be able to see clotting). They decided that they would drain the fluid with a needle to see what it was. Right before the procedure (or maybe it was during), an ultrasound this time showed that there was clotting. And sure enough, when they sucked the fluid out, it was bloody. Where was this fluid coming from? A CT was performed so that they could see the chemo port that was installed to determine whether the port site was bleeding or leaking into the space. The CT showed that the port seemed OK. This left us with a wait-and-see approach to the problem. The only good explanation was that since he had been low on platelets, maybe he had spontaneously ruptured in the pleural space. They would wait until the next morning to see if the cavity had filled back up. If it had, they would do emergency exploratory surgery to:
- Find the source of the fluid
- Install a drain tube into the pleural space
- Possibly remove the port, just as a precuation
The next morning, 28Aug2014, an x-ray was performed. The plerual effusion was back just as large as it had been the day before. Liam was headed for surgery as soon as it could be scheduled.
A little after 12PM, Liam was wheeled into surgery. The surgery took about 90 minutes. They removed his port, just in case they missed something in the CT. They installed a drain tube into the pleural space, and they looked around for the leak with a camera.
They did not find one.
They sent the fluid for analysis to see if it contained Neuroblastoma, which we do not have the results for; however, whether or not it is there may not tell us much.
So what is going on? Nobody knows! But here is the best hypothesis that I heard in the debrief:
If the Neuroblastoma had made it into the pleural area, and the chemo had killed it, it is possible that the fluid and blood could be a response to the now dead Neurblastoma cells. That would mean that the chemo is having an affect on the cancer and this whole plerual effusion business is a consequence of healing. Only time will tell.
This morning, 29Aug2014, an x-ray showed us that the pleural area is being drained effectively with the chest tube. Now we wait for the body to heal the pleural area like it would heal a bruise anywhere else on the body.